Today I celebrate my 25th birthday and the first anniversary of this website, which neatly coincides with the 25th anniversary of dot-com domains. In the year since I started writing this blog, so much in my life has changed:
- Graduated from American University with a Master’s degree in Public Communication.
- Created social media strategy for a non-profit, and raised funds my favorite cause through tactics on Facebook.
- Managed Twitter accounts and Facebook pages for entrepreneurs, local bloggers, and established brands.
- Found an internship through Twitter, learned about research and professional writing, and was called a “social media power-user” by my colleagues.
- Television transitioned from analog to digital, but I still watch most of my video online.
- Online retailers of music, video and applications became the biggest, and opinion leaders curated our online content.
- Moved from DC to NYC, and started to build my professional network.
- Blogged about my passion for tasty beers.
- Started working with a leading web design, SEO, and online marketing company.
- Met many more Matt Hursts on the internet, built my personal brand, and became a professional.
If I haven’t been keeping up with the blog as much lately, it’s because I’m finally applying the insights I’ve written about here through my new work. I’m proud of what I’ve been able to accomplish working as a social media and online marketing pro, so expect to hear more about those experiences soon. Until then, thank you for sharing this journey from student to professional along with me.